Small Giants was founded in 2007 to create, support, nurture and empower businesses that are shifting us to a more socially equitable and environmentally sustainable world.
Small Giants acts as a catalyst for change, using business as a meaningful tool to create the world we want to live in. From partnerships with start-up social enterprises, to investments in large-scale social and environmental projects, sustainable property development and securing our food systems, the Small Giants portfolio reflects a deeply passionate and diverse ethos. Ultimately, our compass is simple: is it good for people? Is it good for the environment? Does it inspire us to be better?
In mid-2012, Small Giants became Australia’s founding B-Corporation. Certified B Corporations use the power of business to solve social and environmental problems. There are over 500 Certified B Corporations across 60 different industries, all with one unifying goal: to redefine success in the for-profit world. We came across this powerful movement in 2011 and, after realising that there was no equivalent movement in our region, set about becoming accredited. We couldn’t be prouder to be part of the global B Corp family.
Every time we reach for our wallets, we make a choice about the world we want to live in. Just as political parties respond to the polls, business responds to our everyday investments, and relies on our collective purchasing power to guide it.
We believe in new way of doing business; one that places social and environmental outcomes are as central to its being as profit and gives people more options to contribute to a better world, whether it be through the magazines they read, the hygiene products they use, or the home they live in. We believe that everybody benefits from this model of impact investing, which combines the scalability and impact of business with the altruism non-profit organisations.
We are forever inspired by this wonderful presentation by Victor Frankl on the power of idealism and the continuing importance of a search for meaning:
When our founders, Danny Almagor and Berry Liberman, set out to create Small Giants, they started with a series of questions: How can business be a force for change? Can we create the world we want to live in, rather than accept the status quo? What is the true meaning of success?
Nearly eight years on, Small Giants is still inspired by those questions and the following beliefs, which guide the way we do business every day:
1. People come first: our business — any business — is about people. Our relationships with our colleagues, customers, suppliers and friends define who we are, so protect those relationships and always put the person first.
2. Everyone can find passion and meaning in their work and life: we encourage everyone we know – our staff, our business partners and friends – to live their most meaningful life
3. No one is an island: everything and everyone on this planet is connected; we share our successes and our failures.
4. There is enough for every person’s need, but not for every person’s greed: we want every person to live comfortably, and to think about what it is they need to live a happy and useful life.
5. Business can be a force for good: business is a very powerful tool that should be used to add value to people’s lives. We believe every business should ask itself, “Is the world better because of me?”
Our Home – The White House
Built in 1854 and originally known as Berkeley Hall, this Classical beauty was custom built as the residence for Victoria’s then-Crown Solicitor, Henry Field Gurner. It is touted as the second-oldest building in St Kilda and is renowned for being one of the earliest works of prominent architect Albert Purchas.
Throughout its 160-year history, the house has been expanded and used for multiple purposes from personal residence to boys’ home to office.
In 2007, under the care of Small Giants, it received an overhaul of love and affection, including a full restoration and the planting of a productive, edible garden. She’s now known to us as The White House, and is where we work, eat, laugh, debate, learn, listen, live and play table tennis with great people.
The White House is home to Small Giants and three of our portfolio businesses -Impact Investment Group, TOM Organic and Dumbo Feather – as well as B Lab Australia & New Zealand.